Dr Asim returns, says govt’s clash with army not good for Pakistan | Pakistan

KARACHI: Pakistan Peoples’ Party leader Dr Asim Hussain said on Friday that the government’s clash with the army leadership is not good for Pakistan.

Speaking at Karachi’s Jinnah International Airport after his return from London, he said that the Pakistan Peoples’ Party (PPP) will react to any action taken against the armed forces of the country.

“If you don’t stop your actions against it, then you will see what PPP will do to you. We stood with armed forces before, and we are standing with them today as well,” Dr Hussain said.

The PPP leader said that he wants to tell the Pakistan Muslim League-N leader that he is not one of those who run away from the country.

“Our politics is for Pakistan. We saved the country in the past and we will save it again,” he said, adding, “the PML-N wants to push back the progress of Pakistan.”

The former petroleum minister said that that there is a difference between the actions and words of the PML-N leadership.

Responding to a question, the PPP leader alleged that the PML-N leadership wants to put into action their design of ‘Greater Punjab’.

The PPP Karachi chief, who is out on bail in two cases of corruption and one of aiding terrorism, left for London on September 10 for medical treatment, after his name was struck off the Exit Control List (ECL).

On August 29, the Supreme Court ordered the relevant authorities to remove Dr Asim’s name from the ECL, overturning an earlier Sindh High Court ruling. 

His name was placed on the ECL in November 2015.

Asim had been allowed to leave for abroad for one month for medical treatment and had to submit a surety of Rs6 million.

Dr Asim faces trial in two cases of alleged corruption of over Rs450 billion and another of allegedly facilitating and treating terrorists at his medical facility — Dr Ziauddin Hospital.

He was released from the sub-jail at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre in Karachi on March 31 this year after obtaining bail in all the cases lodged against him.

He was initially arrested by the Rangers in August 2015 and then transferred into police custody.

News Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *