Punjab govt lifts ban on Na Maloom Afraad 2 | Entertainment

Punjab government has allowed the screening of Na Malood Afraad 2, a day after banning it, confirmed movie director Nabeel Qureshi. 

Qureshi, while speaking to Geo News, said he is quite happy that the ban has been lifted. “It is a good decision by the government and I was hoping for it as the movie did not have any such [controversial] scene.” 

“Banning the movie 35 days after its release sets a bad precedent,” he remarked, adding “this is the win of the entire movie industry.”

He further said that the movie is being screened “uncut” across the cinemas in Punjab. 

Qureshi also tweeted, “Feel really happy to announce that the ban on #namaloomafraad2 has been lifted, film is back in punjab cinemas now, thankyou everyone !!!”

On Friday, the government had issued a notification banning the movie in the province, five weeks after its release.

Without going into many details, the notification states that decision has been taken “in view of persistent complaints from different quarters.”

Earlier on, the UAE had barred the screening of the movie in the country due to alleged misrepresentation of Arabs.

The film was barred from screening in the UAE due to alleged misrepresentation of Arabs, but producer Fizza Ali Meerza has maintained that the ban “will not affect [their] way of saying things”.

“The decision to ban the movie is quite surprising given that the movie released more than a month back and has earned about Rs420 million,” said director Nabeel Qureshi while speaking to Geo News. 

He also said that the notification does not even mention a reason as to why it has been banned in the province.

Before the release, the censor board had given the movie a go ahead. “How can they take it back?” he asked. 

The sequel to the 2014 movie stars Javed Sheikh, Mohsin Abbas Haider, Fahad Mustafa, Urwa Hocane and Hania Aamir.

News Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *